Monday, October 4, 2010

Artistic Inspiration

I have not painted for a while, lack of time more than anything. I am back in the mood for it but I am looking for inspiration. I do like some of the classics, Van Gogh, Picasso, Dali, Kadinsky.

There are a few artist that I really enjoy looking at currently:
  • Emily Carr, a BC artist, I enjoy her flow of the paint and the scenery she paints.
  • Caroline Shotton, a UK artist, I enjoy her subject matter, how she takes the image and adds humour.
  • Laura Zerebeski, a Vancouver artist, someone I worked with until she took the plunge and became a full time artist whom is doing very well in the art world.
  • Edward Hopper, a US artist (sorry only could find him on wiki). Enjoy his images, his style of painting and the way he uses lighting. Brilliant!
You may have noted I lean towards fine art.

I have visited the Tate Modern in London they have some fabulous exhibitions. The Vancouver Art Museum, is close to where I work. I have visited the museum a few times to see Emily Carr work but it is nothing like the European museums and there is no comparison to the Louvre in Paris, of course. I miss Europe and its history.

Art is a very personal thing and there are some great pieces and some not so great. But what I would consider not so great perhaps someone else would see as beautiful or even an investment. Whatever the case beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

No comments:

Post a Comment