Thursday, March 15, 2012

Art Book Review: Sometimes I think, Sometimes I am by Sara Fanelli's

Amazon Image.

After 6 months of waiting, I finally got the book, Sometimes I think, Sometimes I am. What can I say?  If I said that I am a little disappointed it would be an understatement, (please note I use profanity along the way). This book was not cheap and nor was it quick to come flying through my letter box.

After reading raving reviews I was expecting something spectacular and I got something that was, well, blah! I was not expecting to see doodles on any old scrap of paper or 'things' that might be laying around.  Sara Fanelli's work is meant to be new and great but I did not get that sense from what I saw in this book. I have seen scrap booker's do fabulous work much better than the drivel I saw in this ever-so-long-title of a book. If I had been able to look at it in a book store I would never had spent my hard earned cash on it.

Someone somewhere did their typical pretentious critique art talk about the book and the mythical creatures taken and depicted in a fabulous way. To me it looked like someone had doodled something whilst talking on the telephone or bored in a meeting. Not quite sure why they are raving about it all. I draw shit like this all the time when I am die-ing of boredom.

It infuriates me why art critiques talk bollocks, I guess they are paid to talk shit and can say what they want. Hang on a minute, am I not also critiquing the work? Yup, I am and I am not getting a single penny out of it, oh no, I am the idiot who flushed money into the toilet because I could not think of anything better to do with it. If she can have a book written about her drawings on scrap pieces of paper then why can't someone who is making fabulous pieces of work also be talked about? I guess you have to produce crap to get noticed which includes a tent with all the people you have slept with and a cow in a glass box. Art? No. Shit? Well, yes.

Am I being too harsh, should I be looking at this in a different way, she is recycling and producing work etc? No I shouldn't because that is not how the art critiques portray her work in this book and I am disappointed in it.

I have seen some of Sara Fanelli's work and she is very good, but this book portrays the complete opposite of what she is good at and I think it should be taken off the shelves immediately.

Humph!

No comments:

Post a Comment