Saturday, January 7, 2012

Spring has Sprung...REALLY!

A little off track from my usual art blog but it needs to be mentioned because I am seriously concerned.

I have seen blossom on the trees, birds are singing and most mornings I wake to find mild spring-like weather. I mean we are in winter and today the kids are playing outside without hats and gloves, it is never right. It does concern me that my children are likely to suffer as adults with climate change and I haven no doubt in my mind that my grandchildren will certainly be in the thick of the devastation that has been created.

What a life we have created for our children and because of the economy climate concerns have taken a back seat. I do not want to be known as the generation who could have saved the planet but did not. Having said that the UK are not at all large consumers that impact the environment unlike other countries that I need not mention. We have smaller houses, less appliances in the home, cars are smaller in engine size, it costs a great deal more to have an engine above 2 litres in size. I am not sure why other larger countries can't follow suit, for a small country we have done exceedingly well over the years. I am not saying we are 'goody two shoes' far from it but we do tend to act quicker than most nations.

Look at it as if we were a dying planet. Hi-tech will be a thing of the past, E-book readers (a way of saving paper, perhaps but what about the technology and the production, is that perhaps more harmful?) Computers, again away of saving the trees but is it really? Again, the parts required to build the machines, the electricity used to power it, the parts that operate it, is this better than paper?

Survival of the fittest will be the new buzz words. A primitive lifestyle, no fancy cars, knowing what one does for a living will be a case of - who cares. Learning to feed off deprived lands ripped of nutrients. People stealing food and animals... it goes on.

It makes me shudder, the endless possibilities, war, people fighting for food and water, death from malnutrition, old diseases rearing their ugly heads.

Does the wealth of a country really come above the safety of the planet and our lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment