Thursday, May 29, 2014

Horse Art - Next Project



Here is a new painting in the making. You can see where I am at with the stages and how it starts to evolve. I sketch out the horse shape first which consists of lots of lines until I am happy with the shape. Once I have determined the shape I use some very watery acylics to outline it. I like to fill in the background with the main colour I am going to use, in this case green. I fill in the hoses body with blue, but I am going to use a top colour of red with pops of blue showing through. The head is going to be the prominent feature it is going to be darker than the body and the main and tail is undecided.

By blocking the areas with a base layer I can see what changes I need to make. For instance the ear on the left is at the wrong angle, the shoulder t the right was too low down so I have moved it up, you can see the line. Using watery acrylics means that it is easier to make changes before the main colour is added. I have made the mistake before of using thick paint only to discover the proportions need changing or the paint is moving in the wrong direction and once it has dried it is hard to disguise it, if at all.

Now I will go and make the changes and start to build the colours, add the shades etc. The end result will be very different but I intend to keep the background green and the horse red. I like to use contrasting colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment