Friday, February 11, 2011

Self Portrait

Producing a self portrait can be challenging, people tend to see themselves differently compared to others. I composed a self-portrait in art class at school in graphite and white paint. I really did not like what I saw, perhaps it was my lack of experience using graphite at the time or I was not confident in my abilities.

I look at this piece and other than maturity the painting is very similar to what I had produced almost 20 years ago (I know, it scares me to think it has been that long!). Sadly, I recently threw the 'old' me out so I do not have it to compare but here is the latest. To me it encompasses me as a person, its subtle colours and sensitivity, a friendly face. At least that is how I see myself.

Yes, one eye is slightly smaller than the other but they are in reality (except it is slightly exaggerated in this piece).

No comments:

Post a Comment